What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
On the nightly news, a seemingly reoccurring theme is breaking stories about the latest natural disaster. We routinely see wildfires in the west, tornadoes in the south, hurricanes in the east, and blizzards in the north. As a result, homeowners living in disaster-prone parts of the country may consider moving.
But where would be the safest state to move to?
Nowhere in the United States is entirely immune from nature’s wrath. However, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), there are five states you may want to consider.
#5 Ohio – This state is the first of four Midwestern states to make the list. Its location west of the Appalachian Mountains and south of Lake Erie protects its population from many common natural disasters. However, the state is not wholly immune to tornados making regular, annual appearances.
#4 – Vermont – Heading the north, Vermont is mostly forest, protecting it from many natural disasters. When a natural disaster does occur, the state is considered one of the best-funded and equipped in the nation.
#3 – Illinois – Our list returns to the Midwest to the Land of Lincoln. Tornadoes are common here; however, their severity is lower than their western counterparts. In addition, Lake Michigan reduces the threat of severe blizzards in the winter in the north.
#2 – Minnesota – The twin cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul is considered one of the safest places to live from natural disasters. While snowfall can be heavy at times, massive blizzards are less common than you may think, although over 6,000 rivers and 14,000 lakes pose an increased flood risk than in other states.
According to NOAA, #1 – Michigan – Two landmasses connected by the 5-mile Mackinaw bridge create the nation’s safe state from natural disasters. Protected on three sides by the Great Lakes, tornados are rare, winters milder than neighboring states, and only minor exposure to earthquakes exists.
If you are ready to pack it up and head to our country’s safest place from natural disasters, the beautiful state of Michigan is your top choice. For most of us, though, moving isn’t a realistic option. So if you won’t be packing up and relocating, your next best option is to make sure you have the right coverage to protect your life, limbs, and property. Let’s set up a time now to go over your coverage and make sure you and your family have sufficient protection.
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- Tips to Consider when Selecting a Contractor
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy1)
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” - 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
- 5 Most Common Estate Planning Mistakes
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Insurance Coverage All Small Business Owners Must Consider
- Don’t Lose Non-Refundable Down Payments with Travel Insurance
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- Keeping Your Landscaping Lush Under the Hot Summer Sun
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- Should You Pay Off Debt or Save For Retirement?
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Smart Things to Consider When Buying a House
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- Understanding Hurricane Deductibles
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Back to Work: How Businesses Are Trying to Make Workers Feel Safe
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Benefits of Grateful Living