The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
No matter what age or skill level you are, yoga can provide both physical and mental benefits. Chair yoga simply modifies traditional yoga movement. This method is perfect for individuals who may be physically limited either by their personal fitness or location.
There are dozens of poses to try. But there is no need to over complicate things. If you are ready to give chair yoga a try, all you need is this short guide to get started!
The Chair – You don’t need a special chair to do chair yoga. Just a nice, sturdy chair with a back but without wheels. A simple folding chair will do. Make sure your feet can rest flat on the floor. If not, use a yoga block under your feet to help with proper posture.
Breathing – Before beginning any exercise, it is best to center yourself and focus. While sitting tall, place your hands on your hips and take deep breaths through the nose. Make sure to consciously feel your lungs expand, then slowly exhale. Do this ten times and congratulations! You’ve just completed Ujjayi Breathing.
Move #1: The Forward Bend – This is a great exercise to begin the day. Start with your feet slightly more than shoulder width apart. From an upright position and arms dangling down in front of you, slowly bend ninety degrees until your palms touch the floor – or as far as your body comfortably allows.
Move #2: Sun Salutation – This move is essentially the opposite of the forward bend. Again, sitting nice and tall, take a deep breath and lift your arms upwards. As you do, press your palms together and reach straight up and hold for a moment. Then, slowly let your arms fall to your side. Tension in your spine and shoulders will be released.
Move #3: Hip Circles – After the first to vertical exercises, its time to get your body moving laterally. Keeping your upper body as still as possible, begin making circles with your hips in a clockwise motion. Do this five times and then reverse direction. This move helps relax the hips and loosen your core.
Move #4: Neck Stretches – Much of our stress is carried in the muscles running through our neck and into the shoulders. Reach your right arm over your head until your palm touches your left ear. Then slowly allow your head to tilt toward your right shoulder. Don’t pull with your arm, but instead use is a weight to assist in stretching your neck muscles. Hold for five deep breaths then repeat for the other side.
Move #5: Pigeon Pose – This move not only stretches your groin and glutes, it gets your digestive system going. Sit up tall and raise your right ankle and rest it on your left thigh. Make sure your leg, ankle to knee, is perpendicular to the floor. Hold for 5 breaths and repeat with the other leg.
As you become comfortable with the basics, you can continue to expand your repertoire. Chair yoga will help build strength and flexibility while improving mental clarity. More than enough reasons to start today!
- Smart Home Technology: How it Affects Your Property Insurance
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- Tips to Consider when Selecting a Contractor
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy1)
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” - 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
- 5 Most Common Estate Planning Mistakes
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Insurance Coverage All Small Business Owners Must Consider
- Don’t Lose Non-Refundable Down Payments with Travel Insurance
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- Keeping Your Landscaping Lush Under the Hot Summer Sun
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- Should You Pay Off Debt or Save For Retirement?
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Smart Things to Consider When Buying a House
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- Understanding Hurricane Deductibles
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Back to Work: How Businesses Are Trying to Make Workers Feel Safe
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Benefits of Grateful Living