Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
As one of the preeminent founding fathers of the United States, Benjamin Franklin has been heralded with many great achievements. A few of his distinguished achievements include serving as the nation’s first Postmaster General, making significant discoveries regarding electricity, and inventing bifocals.
But perhaps one of his greatest contributions to the United States is also one of his least known accomplishments.
After a great fire devastated Fishbourn’s wharf along the Delaware River in 1730, Franklin knew the event could have been much better contained by organizing the area’s available firefighting resources. This led him to create the Union Fire Company. The country’s first volunteer firefighting department.
However, the new department wouldn’t be able to prevent fires from occurring at all. To protect the financial interests of the residents, Franklin established the first insurance company in America, naming it the Philadelphia Contributorship.
The First Policies
Although it took more than twenty years after the fire of 1730 to be formed, the new insurance company issued its first policy in 1752. Franklin was a supporter of the mutual insurance concept and the Philadelphia Contributorship was established in this way.
As a member of the board, Franklin set forth the terms of the contributorship bringing together members to write 143 policies. Each policy provided coverage for a single peril, fire. Equal payments were paid by each member and had a loss occurred; the funds would have been used for payment.
The policies were written for a term of seven years. During those seven years, not a single claim was made. And, as written within each fire insurance policy, members were returned their premiums. a feature no longer available in today’s marketplace.
A Forward Thinker
Frankin’s work with the Philadelphia Contributorship launched the nation’s insurance industry, which now exceeds $1.3 trillion in annual premiums. Today’s marketplace includes many other forms of insurance Franklin proposed nearly 200 years ago including life insurance, annuities, and crop insurance. Each of these is now an important financial instrument used in protecting millions of Americans and their assets.
- Smart Home Technology: How it Affects Your Property Insurance
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- Tips to Consider when Selecting a Contractor
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy1)
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” - 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
- 5 Most Common Estate Planning Mistakes
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Insurance Coverage All Small Business Owners Must Consider
- Don’t Lose Non-Refundable Down Payments with Travel Insurance
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- Keeping Your Landscaping Lush Under the Hot Summer Sun
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- Should You Pay Off Debt or Save For Retirement?
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Smart Things to Consider When Buying a House
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- Understanding Hurricane Deductibles
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Back to Work: How Businesses Are Trying to Make Workers Feel Safe
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Benefits of Grateful Living