10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
Have you been told you need to manage your cholesterol levels? If so, you're not alone. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), almost 94 million Americans over 20 have a total cholesterol level above what physicians recommend.
Cholesterol is a wax-like substance produced by the liver. Too much cholesterol can build up in the bloodstream and block your organs and tissue. High cholesterol levels can also increase the chance of heart disease and stroke. This is why physicians recommend your total cholesterol level be below 200mg per deciliter.
Thankfully, cholesterol levels can be managed by following these ten tips:
Relax – Stress can cause cholesterol to spike. Make it a daily practice to find time to relax, not with a screen, but with a book or low-impact activity like yoga.
Lose weight – Easier said than done, but weight loss doesn't have to be drastic. Aim to lose one pound a week. By dropping 10 pounds, you can lower your cholesterol by up to 8%.
Quit smoking – One study has shown individuals who quit smoking saw cholesterol levels drop by 5% in one year.
Eat more fiber – Eating more fiber makes you feel full, but just 5g-10g more a day can lower cholesterol levels. Apples, beans, oatmeal, and prunes all contain fiber.
Snack on nuts – Like fiber, nuts help prevent the body from absorbing cholesterol. The downside is that nuts can be high in calories.
Start exercising – Movement that makes you sweat can help reduce cholesterol levels. Doctors recommend a minimum of 150 minutes of exercise every week.
Choose olive oil – Exchanging butter for extra-virgin olive oil increases the intake of healthy fats and potentially reduces bad cholesterol by 15%.
Add some spice – Up to one clove a day can drop cholesterol by up to 9%. Adding spices like cinnamon, coriander, ginger, and pepper can also improve cholesterol levels.
Eliminate trans fats – The FDA has taken steps to reduce these cholesterol-increasing fats. Even so, stay away from products with "partially hydrogenated oil" on their ingredient label.
Eat wild-caught fish – Red meat is high in saturated fats. Lower your cholesterol by replacing two red meat meals with wild-caught fish, like salmon and tuna.
- Smart Home Technology: How it Affects Your Property Insurance
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- Tips to Consider when Selecting a Contractor
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy1)
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” - 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
- 5 Most Common Estate Planning Mistakes
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Insurance Coverage All Small Business Owners Must Consider
- Don’t Lose Non-Refundable Down Payments with Travel Insurance
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- Keeping Your Landscaping Lush Under the Hot Summer Sun
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- Should You Pay Off Debt or Save For Retirement?
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Smart Things to Consider When Buying a House
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- Understanding Hurricane Deductibles
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Back to Work: How Businesses Are Trying to Make Workers Feel Safe
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Benefits of Grateful Living