Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
Even before the pandemic struck in 2020, more and more Americans were working from home than ever before. Advances in technology have allowed workers to become more mobile, offering expanded opportunities to work out of the house. Additionally, home-based businesses and the gig economy have further increased the number of those who work from home.
Often overlooked, however, is potential exposure working from home creates. Left unchecked, property damage or negligence could pose a real financial threat to your finances. Generally speaking, homeowners insurance excludes claims involving work from home unless the coverage has been specifically added.
If you have any of the following circumstances, it might be time to review your homeowners insurance options with your insurance agent.
You are responsible for the safety of anyone visiting your home. This includes clients, prospects, and vendors who come to your house to conduct business. While homeowners policies include liability insurance, you will need to add a specific rider to extend coverage to those visiting for business purposes.
Nearly all businesses require some physical property to operate. From cameras for the home-based photographer to special appliances of the work-at-home chef, insurance companies may deny your claim if business personal property coverage isn’t added onto your policy.
If your home suffered a loss and your business personal property was damaged, would your income be affected? Although most homeowners insurance policies cannot provide business income protection, some may allow the use of additional living expenses to be paid toward continuing your business at another location until your property is repaired or replaced.
If your business requires the collection and maintenance of personally identifiable information (PII), you are liable if such information is stolen or shared by unauthorized individuals. Some homeowners insurance companies can offer limited coverage for data breaches, although more robust coverage may be required depending on the number and type of records you keep.
One area of exposure not available under your homeowners insurance policy is protected against any errors or omissions you make on your clients’ behalf. For example, if you run a bookkeeping service from your home and make a calculation error resulting in financial harm to your client, you would be personally liable for the economic damages. Speak to an insurance agent about available errors and omissions or professional liability insurance.
As an Employee
For the most part, employees working remotely from home will have protection available to them through their employer. Yet, it is still best to check with both your employer and insurance agent to make sure you aren’t left exposed to potential lawsuits or the cost of business property in the event of a loss.
Not Sure If You Have the Right Coverage?
If you are working from home and aren’t sure if you have the right coverage, or if you are covered by your current policies, give us a call. We’d be happy to review your coverage and situation with you to make sure you are adequately protected.
- Smart Home Technology: How it Affects Your Property Insurance
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- Tips to Consider when Selecting a Contractor
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy1)
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” - 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
- 5 Most Common Estate Planning Mistakes
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Insurance Coverage All Small Business Owners Must Consider
- Don’t Lose Non-Refundable Down Payments with Travel Insurance
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- Keeping Your Landscaping Lush Under the Hot Summer Sun
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- Should You Pay Off Debt or Save For Retirement?
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Smart Things to Consider When Buying a House
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- Understanding Hurricane Deductibles
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Back to Work: How Businesses Are Trying to Make Workers Feel Safe
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Benefits of Grateful Living