Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
Our bodies are constantly changing as we age, affecting our overall health and well-being. The changes can be physical, emotional, and/or psychological. Although these changes may take place over long periods of time, it is essential to understand how they affect our bodies so that we can take steps to maintain our health as we age.
Today, we explore how aging affects our bodies and our body's ability to heal itself.
How Aging Affects Your Body:
As we age, our bodies undergo several changes that can include decreased muscle mass, diminishing bone density, lowered immune function, and a slowing metabolism. These changes can lead to an increased risk of chronic disease if not prevented or properly treated. The results are changes that could negatively impact our everyday lives, lower our standard of living, and, ultimately, how we feel overall.
How Your Body Heals Itself:
Our bodies are amazing, as they have a natural ability to heal themselves. When we become injured, our bodies start a healing process to repair the damage. This process typically includes several steps, such as inflammation, cell proliferation, and tissue regeneration. In non-critical cases, our bodies can heal and recover from injuries and illnesses with limited external treatments.
How Aging Affects Your Body's Ability to Heal Itself:
As we age, the body's ability to heal itself diminishes. This is because the production of certain cells, such as stem and immune cells, decreases as we age. Additionally, the healing process slows, and the quality of the new tissue that is produced is lower. All else being equal, it is simply in our nature that these changes can lead to an increased risk of chronic diseases and longer recovery times after injuries and illnesses.
How to Help Your Body Heal as We Age:
As we grow older, it becomes even more essential to understand how changes in our bodies affect our ability to heal and that we can take steps to maintain our health as we age. Although our body's natural healing abilities decrease as we age, there are steps we can take to support the healing process, such as eating a healthy diet, staying physically active, and getting enough rest. By taking care of our bodies, we can age gracefully and enjoy a high quality of life as we get older.
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- Tips to Consider when Selecting a Contractor
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy1)
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” - 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
- 5 Most Common Estate Planning Mistakes
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Insurance Coverage All Small Business Owners Must Consider
- Don’t Lose Non-Refundable Down Payments with Travel Insurance
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- Keeping Your Landscaping Lush Under the Hot Summer Sun
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- Should You Pay Off Debt or Save For Retirement?
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Smart Things to Consider When Buying a House
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- Understanding Hurricane Deductibles
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Back to Work: How Businesses Are Trying to Make Workers Feel Safe
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Benefits of Grateful Living