Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
Whether you are a first-time homebuyer or looking to refinance, the mechanics of a mortgage are often a mystery. We break down mortgage basics in today’s post so you can feel confident when exploring your financing options.
A mortgage is a legally binding agreement where a bank, credit union, or other creditor lends money for a specified rate of interest in exchange for accepting the title of the debtor’s policy until payment of the debt is made in full, at which time title is conveyed to the debtor.
There are always at least two parties involved when a mortgage is generated.
Lender – This is the financial institution who loans money to buy a home. Lenders underwrite, or review, a borrower’s financial worthiness and determines how much money will be lent and at what interest rate.
Borrower – The individual, individuals, or entity seeking the loan is called a borrower.
Loan Servicer – Once a mortgage is created, the loan servicer is a company responsible for providing monthly statements, accepting payments, and managing escrow accounts.
Before the first monthly mortgage payment is made, there are often costs that are either paid in full up front or included in your mortgage payment.
Down Payment – This is the amount of money the borrower pays up front. Often the larger the down payment, the more favorable terms that can be negotiated.
Closing Costs – These are fees charged by the loan originator. The fees vary widely by the type of mortgage, location, and lender. Closing costs may include origination fees, title insurance, underwriting costs, appraisal fee, survey cots, recording fees, and more.
Discount Points – A lower interest rate can be purchase by buying discount points. This may be beneficial if will likely stay in the same home for five or more years and want a lower monthly payment.
Escrow Account – Owning a home comes with the responsibility of paying insurance and taxes. To make it easy, many mortgages will collect money for both costs and keep them in an escrow account until payment is due.
The amount of your monthly mortgage payment is determined by several factors
Mortgage Term – The shorter your term, the higher your monthly mortgage payment for with the same loan amount and interest rates.
Principal – The amount of each mortgage payment that goes towards reducing your loan balance is called “principal.”
Interest Rate – The interest rate determines how much of your monthly mortgage payment goes directly to your lender.
Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) – If your down payment is less than 20% of the amount borrowed, your lender will require you to purchase insurance often referred to as PMI.
- Smart Home Technology: How it Affects Your Property Insurance
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- Tips to Consider when Selecting a Contractor
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy1)
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” - 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
- 5 Most Common Estate Planning Mistakes
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Insurance Coverage All Small Business Owners Must Consider
- Don’t Lose Non-Refundable Down Payments with Travel Insurance
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- Keeping Your Landscaping Lush Under the Hot Summer Sun
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- Should You Pay Off Debt or Save For Retirement?
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Smart Things to Consider When Buying a House
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- Understanding Hurricane Deductibles
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Back to Work: How Businesses Are Trying to Make Workers Feel Safe
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Benefits of Grateful Living