3 Top Tips for Better Posture
Proper posture is a must for people of all ages. The benefits of good posture are well documented and include increased confidence, easier breathing, and a reduced risk of injury. But as we age, maintaining a healthy posture becomes more difficult if we stray from a healthy and active lifestyle.
To help improve your posture, follow these top three tips!
Do the Right Exercises
Back pain is an everyday occurrence for millions of Americans, but it doesn’t have to be for most people. Doing the right exercises regularly strengthens core muscles, improves your posture, and can reduce back pain.
One such exercise is called a “wall tilt.” Begin by standing with your backside pressed against a wall. Next, place one hand on your lower back, pull your abdomen in, and tuck your pelvis. The goal is to flatten your lower back.
Wall tilts are just one example of the dozens of simple exercises you can do to improve your posture. Consider working with a physical therapist who will introduce you to non-strenuous movements to enhance your core.
Watch Your Weight
Being overweight affects your posture. Your muscles can only do so much to support extra weight before gravity pulls your posture into a compromised position. So, if you have to bend your spine and joints in unusual ways to carry the excess weight around, it's time to change things up.
We understand maintaining a healthy weight can be difficult. But making small changes in your diet can go a long way. Reducing sugar intake while increasing the consumption of foods rich in vitamins that support strong bone health is a great place to start. A nutritionist is an excellent way to learn about proper nourishment and help guide you toward a healthier diet.
Sleep Like a Pro
Do you wake up in the morning feeling achy all over? This might mean that you need to sleep in a different position. If you rest on your side, make it a point to bend your knees while keeping your back straight. Put a pillow or towel between your knees to ease pressure on your hips. Aside from reducing sleep apnea symptoms, this position will prevent neck and back pain.
Sleeping in the correct position is half of the equation. You also want to ensure you are getting quality sleep. Most individuals should get between 7 to 9 hours of shut-eye a night. Additionally, make sure where you sleep is comfortable and quiet to get the most out of your evening rest.
Plenty of exercise, a healthy diet, and a good night's sleep will help you significantly improve your posture and health!
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- Tips to Consider when Selecting a Contractor
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy1)
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” - 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
- 5 Most Common Estate Planning Mistakes
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Insurance Coverage All Small Business Owners Must Consider
- Don’t Lose Non-Refundable Down Payments with Travel Insurance
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- Keeping Your Landscaping Lush Under the Hot Summer Sun
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- Should You Pay Off Debt or Save For Retirement?
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Smart Things to Consider When Buying a House
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- Understanding Hurricane Deductibles
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Back to Work: How Businesses Are Trying to Make Workers Feel Safe
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Benefits of Grateful Living