How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
Social security benefits are poised to increase more than in the past 40 years. The cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) will be a whopping 8.7% for beneficiaries in 2023. The increase will undoubtedly come as a welcome change as the nation grapples with rampant inflation.
However, the total amount of the increase may not find its way into the bank accounts of some recipients. Two factors could impact how much you receive: Medicare Part B premiums and taxes.
Medicare Part B Premiums
Every year, the cost of Medicare Part B coverage changes. Furthermore, your monthly social security check deducts the premiums paid toward the program. Fortunately, for 2023, the premiums for Medicare Part B will decrease by $5.20 to $164.90 per individual. Although the reduction may not appear significant, the change will not negatively impact how much you will receive.
Federal Income Taxes
For many beneficiaries, the increase in the monthly benefit may result in a larger tax bill. This is because the amount of tax you must pay is calculated using a combined formula. The combined formula means that the following are all added together to determine your combined taxable income:
- Interest earned
- Pension payments
- Dividends received
- Income from wages
- Taxable distributions from traditional 401(k)s and IRAs
Taxation on income from social security takes place when an individual’s combined income exceeds $25,000 and a married couple’s combined income crosses $32,000.
After reaching the above limits, up to 50% of your social security benefits become taxable until the combined income reaches $34,000 and $44,000, respectively. Once these upper thresholds have been exceeded, up to 85% of your social security benefit may be taxed.
Minimizing the Tax Burden
While the ultimate amount of tax paid on your social security benefits may not be huge, no one wants to pay more tax than they must. Therefore, reducing your tax burden means strategically taking income from the most tax-efficient accounts. Determining the best approach is a complicated process and one best addressed with the help of a tax professional.
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- Tips to Consider when Selecting a Contractor
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy1)
- What is Credit Health Insurance? (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Does Uber Insurance Cover Passengers?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- How Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustments Affect Your Taxes
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Fun Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 16 Tips for Keeping Your Home Secure While You’re Away
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- The Most Important Fall Home Maintenance Tasks
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- How to Retire Early
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- Financial Planning After Saying “I Do!” - 3 Crucial Steps
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Protect Your Home from Wildfires
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- Are Personal Items Covered by My Auto Insurance Policy?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Is Working from Home Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- Maintenance Checklist for the Year-End
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Stacked vs Non-Stacked Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Mortgages Dissected: Details to Know
- 5 Most Common Estate Planning Mistakes
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Insurance Coverage All Small Business Owners Must Consider
- Don’t Lose Non-Refundable Down Payments with Travel Insurance
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- Keeping Your Landscaping Lush Under the Hot Summer Sun
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- Should You Pay Off Debt or Save For Retirement?
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Smart Things to Consider When Buying a House
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- Understanding Hurricane Deductibles
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Back to Work: How Businesses Are Trying to Make Workers Feel Safe
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Benefits of Grateful Living